Friday, October 3, 2008

My Declaration

First off let me say Hello. For those that don't know me, my name is Dylan. My mission statement for this blog is as follows:

  • I plan to view and review a movie per week. This could be something currently out in theaters(the most likely) or something I was recommended by those who read this or by anyone in general.
  • I may at any given time post about work, I am currently employed by Office Depot. I work in their Tech department selling Computers and the like all day.
  • I also may wind up posting about politics, however I feel there are enough opinions about that out there, so mine will be sparse.
  • I am well aware that sometimes my grammar may be lax. Okay, a lot worse than lax. I apologize in advance. However, if you are one of those types that feels so insecure with their spot in life that they must attack my writing to boost their own ego, I must ask you to please keep it to yourself, because, frankly I don't give a damn.
  • You might be asking yourself at this point why you should care about what I think or why you should value my opinion. Honestly? Well, there is no real reason. I hold no degree in Film Study. I hold no degree at all currently. So why me? What do I bring to the fold? Well, I love all movies, there is no Genre I steer clear of, I have watched movies and been held captivated by them since I was a young boy. I have taken several English college courses where I excelled. (Okay, so maybe not in the Grammar department, but my Papers always had top marks for content and structure) I also took a film class where we dissected and reviewed films from the early days of cinema glory to modern tales. I seemed particularly adept at picking out the story's relevance to modern times as well as breaking it down in such a manner that left those who had not seen it with a clear idea about whether or not they should see the movie.
  • I should tell you I am not the biggest fan of CGI. I feel it cheapens the experience, especially if it is done in poor taste (I'm looking at you George Lucas)
So without further adeu, here is my first review.

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People (2008) Rated: R

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People centers around an editor for a small time celebrity gossip magazine named Sydney Young (Simon Pegg of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz fame). Basically, through a series of events brought about by his lack of fame and his desire to be amongst them, he lands a job with a big time magazine in NYC. This is about as much general summary as I shall give you at this point. The movie itself has many funny moments brought about mostly by Young's social ineptitude and libido. Pegg and Dunst have soem surprising chemistry and the pairing has some funny moments, although mostly at Pegg's expense.

The movie isn't as funny as some of Simon Pegg's earlier work in Shaun of the Dead, however the story does hold up throughout the film and even develops the characters quite well. The story has a undercurrent of failed dreams and sacrificing your standards to get what you think you want. The movie has a somewhat surprising romantic flow starting at about the middle of the movie.

Megan Fox is as hot as ever playing Rising starlet Sophie Maes. Jeff Bridges plays the head of a major Celebrity Magazine who Pegg's character looks up to for his early work. Clayton Harding, Bridge's character, seems to regret his own success and is mired down by all the hoops he jumps through. His infrequent breaks in character come at just the right time.

All in all this is a good film. I was unlucky enough to watch this by myself, yet I still managed to enjoy it. Pegg is as funny as ever, and I thoroughly recommend watching this with a few friends to kill an evening.

(I will take feedback on the content of my reviews, such as if you feel I left out certain information such as the Director -I know the average person could care two cents who directs, but I know some buffs really want to know all- I will take your recommendations gladly.)

No comments: